Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Weekly Response 3

I believe that the character in this book, Ligeia is but a fantasy to the narrator. The narrator talks about this beautiful woman but regardless of him "seeing" Ligeia, he does not know how the two met. The sentence, "I cannot, for my soul, remember how, when or even precisely where, I first became acquainted with the lady Ligeia." recalls that this Ligeia is ever so a fable dream of the narrators wife. This lady whom he characterized is real to him because it is his dream of what kind of wife he actually wanted. One other reason the narrator makes the reader think of Ligeia as a non-existing character is from the sentence, "that i never known the paternal name of her who was my friend and my betrothed, and who became the partner of my studies, and finally the wife of my bosom." reveals that he did not know his wifes last name. If this guy didn't know where he first met the love of his life and didn't know her last name there has to be some kind of problem with this guy. As i read on, I soon came to find that the narrator admits to being on drugs to help relieve the pain caused from Ligeia's death." But I was wild with the excitement of an immoderate dose of opium, and heeded these things but little, nor spoke of them to Rowena" this sentence shows the proof of why the narrator is taking drugs. Since he is taking drugs he is bound to have hallucinations, which could therefor cause this Ligeia to be just a figure in his hallucinations.

No comments:

Post a Comment